Pepper Steak is a quick and easy meal to make on a weeknight! This try this classic takeout recipe that you can make at home.
Total Time: 30 mins Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 20 mins Servings: 4
RECIPE INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO
1 Pound Flank Steak
1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
1 Green Bell Pepper, chopped
1 Medium Yellow Onion, chopped
Pinch of Salt, for vegetables
2 Tablespoons Avocado Oil, or neutral oil of choice, to cook steak & vegetables
2 Tablespoons Low-Sodium Soy Sauce
4 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon Avocado Oil, or neutral cooking oil of choice
2 Teaspoons Rice Vinegar
1 ½ Teaspoons Cornstarch
½ Teaspoon Black Pepper
½ Teaspoon Granulated White sugar, or brown sugar
½ Teaspoon Baking Soda
½ Cup Low-Sodium Soy Sauce
2 Tablespoons Unsalted Chicken Stock, or beef stock
2 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
1 ½ Tablespoon Granulated White Sugar, or brown sugar
2 Teaspoons Cornstarch
¼ Teaspoon Black Pepper
(optional) 2 Tablespoons of water, to dilute if too salty for your taste.
1. Pat steak dry and slice into thin strips.
2. To marinate steak, add steak to a bowl and toss in soy sauce, minced garlic, avocado oil or oil of choice, rice vinegar, cornstarch, black pepper, sugar, and baking soda. Make sure the steak is coated in marinade, then refrigerate for about 15 minutes.
3. For our sauce, combine and whisk soy sauce, chicken stock or beef stock, rice vinegar, sugar, black pepper, and cornstarch. Before adding in cornstarch, I recommend tasting the sauce mixture to see if it is just right for you or if it is on the saltier side for you, you can add in a little bit of water to assist to your preference.
4. In a large skillet on medium-high heat, add in 2 tablespoons of oil. Once oil is hot, add in steak. We’re going to cook the steak in small batches, we do not want to overcrowd the pan while the steak is cooking. The steak will cook fast, it should take about 30 seconds to 1 minute on each side to cook.
5. Once steak is done cooking, remove from the skillet and set aside. Reduce skillet heat to medium, then add in 1 more tablespoon of oil and toss in chopped red & green bell peppers with chopped onions. Sprinkle in a pinch of salt and cook for about 1 minute. We want our vegetables to still be tender and crisp, do not overcook them.
6. Pour in our sauce and mix in. Continuously mix sauce in vegetables and simmer for about 1-2 minutes to thicken.
7. Once sauce has thickened, toss in steak and fully coat in the sauce & mix in with onions and bell peppers. Enjoy!