This Apple Crisp recipe is the epitome of fall desserts. With the combination of sugar and spices, it is sure to make your home smell amazing! This Apple Crisp is simple to make and great for when you have a taste for something sweet.
Total Time: 55 mins Prep Time: 15 mins Cook Time: 40 mins Servings: 6
RECIPE INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO
3 Pounds Honey Crisp Apples, or apples of choice
Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice from 1 Lemon
⅓ Cup Light Brown Sugar
¼ Cup White Sugar
1 ½ Teaspoons Cinnamon
½ Teaspoon Nutmeg
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
¼ Cup of Unsalted Butter (½ Stick)
Cornstarch Slurry: 4 Teaspoons Cornstarch + 4 Teaspoons Cold Water
¾ Cup Whole Oats
1 Cup Light Brown Sugar
¾ Cup All-Purpose Flour
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
½ cup Cold Unsalted Butter, diced (1 stick)
Caramel & Ice Cream (Optional)
8x8 Baking Dish
It's important to let Apple Crisp cool for at least 10 minutes to set after removing from oven to let oat topping set.
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Peel and slice apples into chunks or slice shapes. Then, toss in lemon juice.
3. In a large skillet on medium heat, add in butter. Once the butter is melted, add in apples.
4. Next, add in brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg, then combine with apples. Cover with lid and bring to a simmer. Periodically stir and let simmer for about 5 minutes or until apples slightly soften.
5. Slightly reduce heat. Combine cornstarch & water (Cornstarch Slurry) in a cup, then add into the skillet. Frequently stir until well combined and mixture thickens.
6. Remove skillet from heat and let cool for about 10 minutes or until apples are room temperature.
7. For oat topping, in a mixing bowl, combine & whisk oats, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Then add in cold diced butter. Use your hands or chopping utensil and bring ingredients together to form a dough crumbles. Once topping is formed, break it apart into crumbles.
8. Evenly place cooked apples into a baking dish. Then, add oat topping crumbles on top of apples in an even layer. Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes. Periodically check to make sure it is not overflowing.
9. Let cool for about 10-20 minutes. The oat topping will harden as the dish cools.
10. Optional, eat with ice cream and/or caramel.