Sloppy Joes are a staple weeknight meal for families, even mine growing up. From the simplicity of ingredients, to the short cooking time, while being full of flavor, serves as all the reasons why Sloppy Joes will continue to feed families everywhere.
Total Time: 30 mins Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 20 mins
1 Pound Lean Ground Beef, around 90% Lean
1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt, or to taste
1 Teaspoon Black Pepper, or to taste
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
½ Sweet Onion. diced
1 Green Bell Pepper, deseeded & diced
3 Garlic Cloves, minced
Pinch of Kosher Salt, for onions and peppers
15 oz can Tomato Sauce
1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
2 Teaspoons Yellow Mustard
¼ Teaspoon Kosher Salt, or to taste after sauce has been mixed with beef
¼ Teaspoon Black Pepper, or to taste after sauce has been mixed with beef
Toasted Hamburger Buns
1. In a bowl, combine and mix tomato sauce, mustard, worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar.
2. In a large skillet on medium heat, once the skillet is hot, add in oil. Once oil is hot, add in diced onions and bell pepper. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and cook for about 2-3 minutes or until tender. Next, add in minced garlic and cook for another minute.
3. Turn heat up to medium-high and add in beef. Season beef with salt & black pepper and cook for about 5 minutes or until beef is fully cooked. Then, pour in sauce mix and simmer on low for about 10 minutes or until it thickens. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
4. Once done, remove from heat and let rest for about 5 minutes to continue to thicken and for the beef to continue to absorb the flavors.
5. (Optional) If you prefer, you can add a tablespoon of water at a time for looser consistency.
6. Serve on toasted burger buns and enjoy.