You have to try this Queso Style Mac & Cheese! This dish incorporates familiar flavors from a dish many of us love, Queso Dip, with an all-time favorite dish, Mac & Cheese. You have to try this and bring it to your family gatherings.
Total Time: 55 min Prep Time: 15 mins Cook Time: 40 min Servings: 12
RECIPE INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO
Queso Style Mac & Cheese
1 pound Elbow Pasta
¼ Cup Unsalted Butter
2 Tablespoons Flour
3 cups heavy cream
1 ½ Teaspoons Kosher Salt, or to taste
2 Teaspoons Black Pepper, or to taste
1 Teaspoon Garlic powder
1 Teaspoon Onion powder
1 Teaspoon Cumin
1 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
1 Teaspoon Oregano
2 Tablespoons Sour Cream
¼ cup Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies
8 oz Cheddar Cheese, divided
8 oz Pepper Jack, divided
8 oz Monterey Jack, divided
6 oz Smoked Gouda, divided
1. Cook Pasta according to package instructions until Al-Dente. I recommend cooking Pasta in 4 Quarts of Water with 2 Tablespoons Kosher Salt.
2. Freshly shred cheddar, pepper jack, monterey jack, and smoked gouda cheese. Add cheese to one bowl and mix them well.
3. For the roux, In a large cooking pot on medium heat, add in Butter and melt. Once Butter is melted and foaming, add in Flour. Frequently whisk Flour for about 1-2 minutes, Flour should become slightly brown but be sure to not burn the roux. Then, add in Heavy Cream and whisk in well. Add in Spice Seasonings, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, oregano and stir in. Taste mixture to make sure it tastes as desired.
4. Turn up heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer, then slightly reduce heat so sauce can be on a low simmer. Periodically stir sauce for about 5 minutes as sauce will thicken while it simmers.
5. Once sauce has thickened, remove sauce from heat and let cool for about 1-2 minutes. Add in Sour Cream and mix well. Then, add in diced tomatoes with green chiles and mix well. Add in half of the cheese blend (15 oz) and stir until fully melted. Add in all pasta and fully mix in with sauce.
6. Preheat the oven to 375F.
7. To a 12x10 Half Pan or large baking dish, add in half of the macaroni mixture to the pan. Place a layer of cheese on top (Half of remaining cheese/ 7.5 oz). Place the remainder of the macaroni mixture on top and add on the remainder of cheese evenly across the top. Lightly sprinkle Smoked Paprika on top of the cheese.
8. Place the pan in the oven uncovered and bake for 25-30 minutes. Cheese should be crispy and slightly browned.
9. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes to set, then enjoy.