If you want a good comfort meal for a weeknight dinner, try this Pizza Pasta Bake!
Total Time: 1 hr 15 mins Prep Time: 15 mins Cook Time: 60 mins Servings: 10
RECIPE INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO
Pizza Pasta Bake
2 Tablespoons Neutral Cooking Oil, divided
1 medium Yellow Onion, diced
1 Green Bell Pepper, diced
Pinch of Kosher Salt, for seasoning Onions & Peppers
2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt, for meat, or to taste
2 Teaspoon Black Pepper, for meat, or to taste
2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder, for meat
1 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning, for meat
1 Pound Ground Beef, 90% Lean 10% Fat
1 Pound Ground Sausage
3 Cloves Garlic, minced
40 Ounces Marinara Sauce
¾ Pound Penne Pasta
¾ Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese, divided
16 ounces Whole Milk Low Moisture Mozzarella, freshly shredded
2 ounces Pepperoni
Italian Parsley, minced for garnish
For Marinara Sauce I used Rao's Tomato & Basil.
Feel free to use different meat protein substitutions or you can make the dish meatless.
1. Boil our pasta according to packaging for about 1-2 minutes less than al-dente, then set aside. I recommend boiling pasta in 4 Quarts of Water with 2 Tablespoons Kosher Salt.
2. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
3. In a large pot over medium heat, add in 1 tablespoon of cooking oil. Once oil is hot, add in diced onions, cook for 1 minute. Next, add in diced green bell peppers, sprinkle in a pinch of salt and cook for another 1 minute. Then, add in minced garlic and cook for about 30 seconds
4. Then turn the heat up to medium-high, add in 1 tablespoon of cooking oil, then add in ground beef and sausage. Season with salt, black pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning and cook for about 5-7 minutes or until meat is browned and cooked thoroughly. If you are using a meat protein with a higher fat content, I recommend draining the grease after cooking.
5. Reduce heat to medium, add in marinara sauce, mix in well, bring sauce to a simmer, and simmer for about 3-5 minutes while occasionally stirring. After simmering, reduce heat to low and mix in parmesan cheese. Next, fold in cooked pasta.
6. Transfer to a lightly greased 9x13 baking dish or large baking dish of preference. Add in half of the pasta mixture evenly and top with half of the mozzarella & pepperoni. Then, add the remaining pasta mixture and top with the remaining mozzarella & pepperoni.
7. Bake for 30-35 minutes uncovered. The cheese should appear slightly browned and bubbly. Garnish with Italian parsley and parmesan cheese. Let rest for at least 10 minutes to set and then enjoy.