You have to try this Mozzarella Meatball recipe! It's an easy meal that can be made for your weeknight dinners and is full of flavor.
Total Time: 40 min Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 30 min
2 Pounds Ground Beef 80% Lean 20% Fat
2 Teaspoons Kosher Salt
2 Teaspoons Black Pepper
2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
2 Teaspoons Onion Powder
1 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning
½ Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
1 Egg, beaten
2 Tablespoons of Cooking Oil, to brown meatballs
1 Yellow Onion, diced
Pinch of Kosher Salt, to season onions
3 Cloves Garlic, minced
32 oz Marinara Pasta Sauce
16 oz Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
4 oz Parmesan Cheese
Italian Parsley, minced
12-inch Cast Iron Skillet
I recommend you to freshly shred the mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese as they will melt better.
1. In a mixing bowl add and combine Ground Beef, Salt, Black Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Italian Seasoning, Beaten Egg, and Breadcrumbs. Be sure not to over mix as it will cause the meat to become tough.
2. Take about 2 Tablespoons worth of the mixture and roll it into meatballs. Recommend, refrigerating meatballs for 15 minutes before cooking.
3. In a skillet on medium heat, add in Cooking Oil. Add in Meatballs and cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side to brown meatballs. Meatballs will finish cooking in sauce.
4. Remove meatballs from the skillet. Drain grease from skillet, only leaving in about 1-2 Tablespoons. Next, add in diced onion, season with a pinch of salt and cook for about 2 minutes. Then, add in minced garlic and cook for another minute.
5. Add in your favorite pasta sauce, season with salt & pepper to taste, and bring to a simmer. Once the sauce is simmering, add in meatballs. Baste the top of the meatballs with the pasta sauce, cover, and simmer for about 10-12 minutes or until meatballs are fully cooked. Make sure to turn over meatballs periodically. Once done cooking, remove from heat.
6. In the same skillet, or you can transfer meatballs with sauce to a baking dish, top with shredded mozzarella cheese. Place in the oven on high broil for about 5-7 minutes or until the cheese melts and becomes brown and bubbly. Once done, let rest for about 5 minutes for cheese to firm. If excess amounts of oil, you can use a paper towel to dab the top.
7. Remove from the oven and top with parmesan cheese and Italian parsley.