You have to try this Jalapeño Chicken recipe! It has a great balance between savory and mild spice. Be sure to make this next for dinner.
Total Time: 35 min Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 25 min
2 Pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
1 Cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
½ Cup Jalapeño Brine, from jarred Jalapeño slices "Pickled Jalapeños"
½ Cup Water
½ Cup Light Brown Sugar
4 Cloves Garlic, minced
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil, for cooking chicken
¼ Cup Jalapeño slices, from jarred Jalapeño slices, or to taste "Pickled Jalapeños"
(Optional) If having difficulty with reducing sauce to allow it to thicken, you can add a cornstarch slurry. Combine & mix 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch + 2 Tablespoons Cold Water in a cup and add into sauce after it has been simmering for a couple of minutes.
12-Inch Skillet for reducing the sauce; A wide skillet is necessary to achieve the best results for reducing the sauce. A wide skillet will help the sauce reduce the fastest and the best.
1. Clean, pat dry, and trim excess fat from chicken. Cut chicken into 1-inch chunk pieces.
2. Add chicken to a bowl and coat with olive oil, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and smoked paprika. Mix around well to ensure all pieces of chicken are coated. Then, set aside.
3. For sauce, in a separate bowl, combine and mix soy sauce, Jalapeño brine, water, brown sugar, and minced garlic.
4. In a skillet on medium heat, once the skillet is brought to temperature, add in olive oil. Next, add in chicken. Cook chicken for about 2-3 minutes each or until seared crust forms and is cooked evenly through. Then, set chicken aside.
5. For sauce, to reduce sauce it is best to use a wide skillet or pot as it will reduce faster. Pour sauce mixture into a skillet on medium heat, bring to a high simmer, and frequently stir. While reducing the sauce, we are aiming to thicken it. The sauce will appear “foamy”, this should take on average about 10 minutes to reach this point. Sauce should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
6. Once sauce has thickened, slightly reduce heat, then add in cooked chicken. Toss chicken in sauce for about 2 minutes. Then, add in jalapeño slices and mix in for another minute. Remove from heat and let chicken rest in sauce for a couple minutes to continue to adhere. Enjoy.