This recipe is one of my favorite Fall dessert recipes. The best way I can describe these cookies are to imagine if a pumpkin pie and snickerdoodle cookie had a baby. The cookies are soft, moist, and the perfect dessert to get you into the fall spirit.
Total Time: 30 mins Prep Time:10 mins Cook Time: 20 mins
Brown Butter Pumpkin Spice Cookies
1 Cup Unsalted Butter
1 ½ Cups Dark Brown Sugar
¼ Cup Granulated White Sugar
1 Large Egg Yolk
⅓ Cup Pumpkin Puree
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
½ Teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 ½ Teaspoons Pumpkin Spice
½ Teaspoon Cinnamon
1. (Option on how to brown Butter) In a skillet on medium heat, add Butter. Continuously stir Butter. Once Butter is melted, the butter will become foamy and simmer after a few minutes. Stir for about 5-8 minutes until Butter turns golden brown. Look for milk solids at the bottom of the pan to turn brown. The Butter should become fragrant with a toasty, buttery, and nutty scent. Place Butter in a microwave safe bowl (or heatproof bowl) and allow to cool completely.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add cooled browned butter, white sugar, and brown sugar. Whisk ingredients well for about 1-2 minutes until sugar and butter are fully combined.
3. Next, add in 1 egg yolk, pumpkin puree and vanilla extract. Whisk ingredients well until fully combined and smooth.
4. In a separate bowl, sift and add in flour, then add baking soda, salt, pumpkin spice, and cinnamon. Whisk ingredients well.
5. Combine the flour mixture with the first bowl mixture and use a wooden or silicone spatula to combine ingredients. Once dough is fully combined, refrigerate for about 30-45 minutes. Dough should be chilled but not hard.
6. Preheat the oven to 350F.
7. For cinnamon sugar coating, in a separate bowl combine brown sugar, white sugar and cinnamon. Scoop out dough with an ice cream scooper and roll the dough in the cinnamon-sugar coating.
8. Place dough on a lined baking sheet and bake for about 10-12 minutes.
9. Let cookies cool for 10-15 minutes in order for cookies to set and slightly cool off.